Take this Blog and shove it

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Hodgepodge

My favorite trivia category.

Or no, maybe I'm a tad better at miscellaneous.

Though I'm pretty darn adept at potpourri as well...


"Treasure Hunters" starts this Sunday:

"Mix equal parts The Da Vinci Code and The Amazing Race, then sprinkle in Nicolas Cage's National Treasure, and you'd get NBC's Treasure Hunters. The new reality-TV competition (premiering this Sunday at 8 pm/ET, before settling into its Mondays-at-9 time slot) sends 10 three-person teams boating, jetting and helicoptering across America on a treasure hunt of (buzzword alert!) "epic scale" — seeking out "mystical artifacts," "cracking codes" and uncovering "clues" in the pursuit of a "hidden key" that will lead them to, and unlock, the grand prize.

Acknowledging that one of the producers on Treasure Hunters is none other than Imagine Television's Brian Grazer — aka the very man who gave us Tom Hanks as Da Vinci code-breaker Robert Langdon — executive producer Jane Lipsitz (Project Runway, Last Comic Standing) says, "The things that are successful about The Da Vinci Code are taking these incredibly familiar icons and [revealing] secrets and mysteries around them, and we applied that to Treasure Hunters. But this is about secrets of American history, so in that sense, it's a 'more secular' version."


The way that Treasure Hunters sets itself apart from reality kin Amazing Race is twofold. "There's a big play-at-home factor for the audience," says Lipsitz, "and there's a connective tissue that runs throughout all our episodes, as you have to figure out how all these artifacts connect to bring you to the final treasure."

Who's on the hunt? The teams are handily categorized as follows: Geniuses (who boast 10 academic degrees among the three of them); Grad Students (including the reality-TV requisite set of hottie twins); Young Professionals; Southie Boys (Boston buds who brag of, no joke, their "street smahts"); the Wild Hanlons (a cinch to win if mullets come into play); Ex-CIA; Air Force; Miss USA (pageant also-rans who debate early on whether or not to "use" the menfolk yet); and two families, the Fogals (who have God on their side, seeing as papa doth preach) and the Browns (almost embarrassingly, African-American brothers)."





I watched a new show this week, "How to get the Guy". It features two love experts trying to help 4 women meet guys. It really seems like it should be "How to get the girl" because most of the time, it doesn't seem like women have to do much to get guys attention. Guys are like wolves.
But anyway, on the show they talked to the women about "dropping the hanky". They said in old times, a woman could drop her hanky to let a guy know, if you'd like to talk to me that would be alright with me.
They said that you have to do other things to convey the same idea today. They said, eye contact, smiling, proximity....
They then went out with hidden cameras and a woman in a bookstore would try to start conversations but it was kind of tough. She would ask the time, and the guy would give her the time. And that would be that.
Well I mean, that's probably what I would do too, I wouldn't necessarily know what else to say. I mean I would feel kinda stupid if I started talking to her and she's like, "dude, I just wanted the time, leave me alone".


I taped the Rock, Paper, Scissors championship as well. Funny how these people consider themselves to be athletes and act as if there is great skill involved.


Is it me or do we always get reports on how chocolate, wine and coffee are actually beneficial to good health?
I'm just waiting for the report where they declare broccoli, carrots and green beans to be deadly disease causers.


Are people from Charlotte known as "charlatan's" or is there too much negative connotation to that?
Wouldn't that be a good name for their basketball team? The Charlotte Charlatans?
Actually apparently the word comes from an Italian word that was from a city in Italy famous for "quacks".



Here are some lyrics from a song sung by Woodrow the homeless guy (Tracy Morgan) and Kate Hudson on SNL:

Toasters and birds...
Little pigeon turds...
Radio in my hair...
It's really not fair
Cause I, love, youuuu

Boogers and poop...
Dictionary soup...
Run for the Hills...
We have to eat pills
And I, love, youuuu

Mr. Rubberface...
I'm from outerspace!
Kibbles and bits
Tiny mouse tits
Yes I, love you...
I, Loveeeeeee, youuuuuuu



Quote of the day:

"You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference." --1962

10 Comments:

  • 2 things..

    Is there REALLY a rock, paper, scissor televised event? Your joking right? That can't be for real. If so, its gotta be a redneck thing.

    And the day they declare healthy vegtables the real cause of the world's health problems, IT will be the
    GREATEST....
    DAY....
    OF....
    MY....
    LIFE!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Anna, at 10:19 AM  

  • Yes it's real. I DVRed it from A&E I think. It was kind of a 1 hour documentary/championship thing.

    Not rednecks. More geekish.

    By Blogger DeNirogator, at 10:31 AM  

  • Another reason A&E blows.

    This post had too much podge, and not enough hodge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

  • I would go for the Charlotte WNBA team, The Charlotte Harlots. My all time favorite in this category, BTW, is the Manila Folders.

    Maybe its just your prose stylings, but I might actually take a peek at 'Treasure Hunters' and 'Guy'. Not so much for Rock, Paper, Scissors; but hey, I never thought anybody would watch other prople play poker on TV.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 PM  

  • The Manila Folders! I like it!

    Yeah, I'll definately give treasure hunters a go. But what team shall we root for? The geniuses? The preaching family? The ex-CIA? The Browns?


    Rock, paper, Scissors....people would actually say stuff like, "I'm just that good" and taunt each other on how the other person didn't have a chance against them.

    By Blogger DeNirogator, at 2:57 PM  

  • Every night this week after the world cup there's been Championship Dominoes on ESPN2.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM  

  • I'd watch championship tiddlywinks.

    By Blogger DeNirogator, at 3:24 PM  

  • But TV drama sucks... ooooookay.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:32 PM  

  • By Blogger DeNirogator, at 3:32 PM  

  • When is championship Candy Land?

    By Blogger Anna, at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home